As luck would have it....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As luck would have it....

So I took the bike to the stealership on the weekend..... put it in for some warranty work. Needs a new volume switch, a saddlebag latch and a couple of other small items. I told them that I wanted the cam chain tensioners checked as well, since the bike has 91,000 kms on it. That's about 57,000 miles to y'all. the service tech tells me that I will probably have to pay about $200 to get them checked, since they would probably be fine at that mileage....... I tell him to check 'em anyways.
    So yesterday, I call to see what they found.
    Me: well, what did you find out?
    Tech: It looks like the tensioners are worn enough to warrant replacing them, so we'll do that under warranty, but we decided that we want to check the cams and lifters as well.
    Me: Sounds good - let me know what you find.
    Tech: I'll call you tomorrow.
    Fast forward to today at lunch, when I get a call from the Tech....
    Tech: Well, we checked your cams and lifters, and they're still in good shape, but......
    Me: But what?
    Tech: we looked at your oil pump and it seems to be scored a bit, so we're gonna replace it.
    Me: OK. Anything else?
    Tech: We saw a small oil leak by the rear of the primary, so we pulled the cover and your clutch basket, and the mainshaft seal is leaking, so we'll replace that. Then, we noticed that the mainshaft seemed to "growl" a bit when we turned it, and it seems that the bearing is shot as well. We also noticed that you have an oil leak by your stator plug, and by the bolts near your oil filter, so we're looking into that as well.
    Me: that's a bit more work than we thought, huh?
    Tech: Yeah, plus the shifter shaft seal is leaking, and so is your oil pan gasket. You need a new oil sending unit. By the way, we're replacing the gaskets and covers on both master cylinders as well. We submitted it to warranty for approval - $3800 worth of work so far.
    Me: So far?
    Tech: Yeah, we're still checking a few more things out.... I'll give you the final word tomorrow.

damn glad I took her in for some minor work........
    Ride safe, Stoney

sigpic

03glide

I guess so.

Comment

Wow thank god for the warranty. And a good dealer mechanic
      Slip sliden' away:p

sigpic

Comment

I talked to the tech again last night...... final total is over $6K. Warranty people have looked at it, now we're just waiting for approval to go ahead, which we should get this morning. I'm being told that it will still take 3 or 4 more days to get the work done. I was playing with the idea of taking a trip next week, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen now.
        Ride safe, Stoney

sigpic

03glide

Comment

Sorry about the trip but better to have the work done now instead of on the road somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinero View Post
            Sorry about the trip but better to have the work done now instead of on the road somewhere.
            There'll be other trips.... I'm just grateful that the techs were as thorough as they were and finding all the issues!
            Ride safe, Stoney

sigpic

03glide

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
              There'll be other trips.... I'm just grateful that the techs were as thorough as they were and finding all the issues!
              Absolutely.

Comment

6K and they are not even rebuilding the motor...talk about a warranty screw job to the factory. Riding season is short where you live I guess they have to get it while they can. Have them throw a set of bolt in performance cams while they are there. If the pump is scored I would be concerned about the cams and lifters as well.

But if its under warranty screw it and let them deal with it
                Last edited by deuce04; 06-11-2015, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deuce04 View Post
                  6K and they are not even rebuilding the motor...talk about a warranty screw job to the factory. Riding season is short where you live I guess they have to get it while they can. Have them throw a set of bolt in performance cams while they are there. If the pump is scored I would be concerned about the cams and lifters as well.

But if its under warranty screw it and let them deal with it
                  Cams and lifters are being replaced, along with the crank bearings. Top end was checked and it's OK. Hope to have it back by the middle of next week. It hasn't been that bad, it's rained here most of the week anyway.
                  Ride safe, Stoney

sigpic

03glide

Comment

Working...
                  X