Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thats right its a Twinkie dammit!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    thay are saying the newer design isn't having that trouble..

    Comment


    • #17
      I read some place that you can up date the older twin cams by buying some plate and stuff, about 500ish for all up dated stuff.
      I wonder if it would be cost effective?
      2003 Ultra Classic,Gunmetal Pearl.
      I have been in all the lower 48 states
      with it.
      220,048 miles

      www.Markcuda.com

      Comment


      • #18
        mine has the new , tensioners, hydraulic.. 34 k havent looked at em , havent seen anything that says i need too.. i did have a bad primary bearing and too small injectors though..

        Comment


        • #19
          Couple of damn fine looking Dynas there.

          Comment


          • #20
            Mark, I did some photobucket digging... here's what my front tensioner looked like at approximately 20K a couple winters ago. Other than the curious porosity on the plastic, these were just burnished. It's curious that some could get chewed up in nothing flat (miles-wise) and some would be OK.



            I have heard about the tensioner retro-fit for this vintage, but for that kind of coin, one could eliminate the problem entirely with gear drive cams.

            ~~

            Dig that wacky CHINA pencil, huh?
            sigpic2000 Superglide

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Big D View Post
              Mark,


              I have heard about the tensioner retro-fit for this vintage, but for that kind of coin, one could eliminate the problem entirely with gear drive cams.

              ~~

              Dig that wacky CHINA pencil, huh?
              Gear drive is great if your crank run out is within spec if not the new hydraulic tensioner set up from Harley is very reliable.

              Comment


              • #22
                Before my re manufactured motor (167,***) miles, I think I had 3 sets of the tensioners replaced.
                So far now, I have not even checked the ones on the reman. motor.
                I really should have that done.
                2003 Ultra Classic,Gunmetal Pearl.
                I have been in all the lower 48 states
                with it.
                220,048 miles

                www.Markcuda.com

                Comment


                • #23
                  Gear drive? heck no too much gear case noise.. i am investing in the tools for my own cam change..

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Big D View Post
                    Mark, I did some photobucket digging... here's what my front tensioner looked like at approximately 20K a couple winters ago. Other than the curious porosity on the plastic, these were just burnished. It's curious that some could get chewed up in nothing flat (miles-wise) and some would be OK.



                    I have heard about the tensioner retro-fit for this vintage, but for that kind of coin, one could eliminate the problem entirely with gear drive cams.

                    ~~

                    Dig that wacky CHINA pencil, huh?
                    I remember reading something on one of the forums a couple years back about the the cam chains vary wildly in regards to how rough or burred up the metal is from manufacturing. And that this contributes to the excessive wear on the tensioner. I also read that some guys were taking their chains off and polishing the outer portions to make them smooth as glass and then the tensioner would literally last indefinitely. I can't support this with any posts but I know it didn't come outta my ass. Wish I remembered where I read it. I'll keep checking.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Okay I guess Google has a better memory than I do here's a link: TC Cam Chains - Harley Davidson Community
                      Last edited by mordak; 03-12-2011, 12:14 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by mordak View Post
                        I remember reading something on one of the forums a couple years back about the the cam chains vary wildly in regards to how rough or burred up the metal is from manufacturing. And that this contributes to the excessive wear on the tensioner. I also read that some guys were taking their chains off and polishing the outer portions to make them smooth as glass and then the tensioner would literally last indefinitely. I can't support this with any posts but I know it didn't come outta my ass. Wish I remembered where I read it. I'll keep checking.
                        CAM driven chains in a sporty can be a mother

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Jamman View Post
                          Gear drive? heck no too much gear case noise.. i am investing in the tools for my own cam change..
                          my gear drives are not noisy at all, couldn't tell any dif, when installed
                          Slip sliden' away:p

                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I have 105,000 + miles on mine!! A 2000 FLHR... I caught a good price last September on an S&S Cycle T111 crate engine... Had my indie go thru the whole bike.... Rides better than new!!!

                            111 inch S&S
                            rebuilt oem trans
                            Glide-Pro motor mounts and swingarm system
                            new pulleys, stator, ignition etc...

                            Moe Taters

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X