Oil Filter Loose....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter Loose....

The bike has been parked for a week getting a new battery...pulled it out tonight and there was engine/primary oil under it...appeared to be from the front of the engine from the position the bike was parked...

Put in the new battery...then went to checking...I use Shockproof "pepto-bismo" tranny fluid so I knew it was not tranny...

Looked under the bike the oil pan and primary was dry on the bottom...ran my hand up by the oil cooler...yep...oil...put it on the jack and started degreasing it...as I was wiping around the oil filter it rotated...it was an 1/8 turn loose...I always gorilla grip "hand" tighten them...I have cut an oil filter gasket before but never had one back off...

Service records show changed May 30, about 2k miles ago....this 2012 w/103 engine shakes like crazy at idle and I did get it hot, real hot going through the SF Bay area on my trip to Mendocino...

So either I was weak on May 30th or this damn thing shook it loose...
    Ron
    Bakersfield CA
    • Grumpy II 12 two tone Blue HD POSE Ultra on order..delivered 12-23-2011
    • Grumpy & Stumpy 04 Blue HD POSE Ultra sold
    • 2105 Triumph Tiger 800XRX White and Black

I usually hand tighten, then give it another 1/8 of a turn with the filter wrench.... glad it didn't loosen off while riding.
    Ride safe, Stoney

sigpic

03glide

Comment

It is a Wix filter...I have been using them for several years, as I can get them at the O'Reilly's one mile from my house instead of the HD dealer 10 miles from my house...

I hand tighten them wearing a glove to give extra grip...they are about 1/2 turn tight after the gasket makes firm contact...

Just never have experienced one coming loose...usually they feel real tight when I go to remove them with the filter wrench at oil change...guess I will have to make sure I get them really tight and check them after a couple heat cycles when I change the oil...kinda like you tighten a trailer hitch them check it after a couple miles of driving...

Very lucky it did not spin loose and dump a bunch of oil while I was on riding...
      Ron
      Bakersfield CA

Comment

K&N that's all, nut on the end to tighten , and not me either !!
        Slip sliden' away

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 03glide View Post
          K&N that's all, nut on the end to tighten , and not me either !!
          I have thought about them...but can't get them conveniently...I like the nut on the end....as MOCO keeps making it harder to get to the filter, now with the oil cooler stuff..about like when I worked on B-52s...took a 50 year old airplane and tried to stuff 21st century technology in it...bombays and wheelwells got a bit crowded...but that old bird still flies and these aircooled engines still thump us down the roads...
          Ron
          Bakersfield CA

Comment

My O'Reilly s is carrying them now
            Slip sliden' away

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I will have to check with them...I think I have one more WIX filter in the garage...as I buy a couple at a time...
              Ron
              Bakersfield CA

Comment

I've never had one back off.

More often the problem is that they are on so tight that I tear it up trying to get it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinero View Post
                  More often the problem is that they are on so tight that I tear it up trying to get it off.
                  That was a first for me...you need more oil on the new gasket....

Ford factory installed (first oil change) oil filter on our 2006 F150 came off in pieces...I had never had one that stuck...even the giant square shaft Craftsman screwdriver through the side didn't work...really thought I was going to have it towed to Ford and have their service department fix the factory mess...

I just rode across town and then to breakfast and home...after the bike cools I will check it again....it could be a bad gasket not sealing...but I am thinking I was weak that day, plus the heat cycles I put it through...
                  Ron
                  Bakersfield CA

Comment

Originally posted by d190 View Post
                    That was a first for me...you need more oil on the new gasket....
                    That could be possible. I tend to run my finger around quickly and just may not be getting a good coating.

Comment

Working...
                    X