Garage Projects...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Projects...

We don't really have a place for stuff like this, so if it's not desired, then feel free to delete it, I suppose. But I've got lots more, so let me know if it's ok, then maybe I'll post those up too.

But for bike mods, repairs, or maintenance, garage projects are relative. Without garage projects, you can't have bike projects, right?

I use my garage, as shop too. Actually, I spend more time in here, than in the house. These pics were from a couple weeks ago, when the garage was a wreck. I was in the process of excavating an area between the house and the garage for about 30' of new 48" wide sidewalk. You can probably spot about a half-dozen unfinished projects in here at this point. I don't think I'm capable of finishing one project before starting another. I guess that comes from a work environment of multi-tasking about 6-8 projects simultaneously. I do know that, the only way you can accomplish that, is to keep your shop very organized. My shop is 30' wide x 40' deep. The main room (pictured below) is 30' x 30' and there's a 10' x 30' room behind the main room, that I basically only use for storage.

This was my Friday night garage project. Finally got tired of always having to go back to the toolbox to grab a wrench, so I decided to make a wrench rack. Resisted this for a long time, because I just prefer tools in the toolboxes and not hanging on the walls. But it seems they could be really handy at one of the work benches. I'm already kinda' liking it, and I have several wrench sets, so it's likely I'll add them to the other bench too.

Plus, it gave me a reason to assemble my new SWAG porta-band table. I wanted to get it powder-coated first, but that can wait. I used the bandsaw to set up a jig, to cut the dowel rods. The stop was used from my test piece, that I tested the dowel rod fit to the drill size.

I wanted the dowels to stick out at a slight angle, so the wrenches don't easily get bumped off the rack. I figured the fastest, most consistent way to do this, was to tape a piece of dowel rod to the backside of the board and then drill all the holes. I also laid out the hole pattern with different spaces between holes, to accommodate the different wrench sizes. The smaller wrenches are closer together, then the larger wrenches.

I used 1/4" dowel rod, and drilled all the holes with a 1/4" drill. Sanded a slight chamfer on both ends of all the dowels, dabbed a little bit of wood glue on each of the holes, and tapped in the dowels. I'll probably take it down later this weekend, to paint it. Nothing fancy, and you can probably buy something similar for a few bucks, but this was a good project for winding down the work week. It came out ok, I think.

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 11-01-2015, 12:39 PM.
    "Blue skies hangin' over my head, I got 500 miles to ride." - RVZ

Sorry, wrong post. Edited the above post to include this info.
    Last edited by Wanna Ride; 11-01-2015, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I kind of like that rack. You may have heard me say that before but it was about something different.

I too, do some woodwork. Do you have a sawdust collection system? I don't so I have to stop and clean up every so often to keep the mess to the minimum.

That's a good looking shop. I don't think mine is ever that clean or organized.

Comment

Bob, I can't wait for you to move down here so I can come and visit you in your shop.
        I'll never have one where I'm at.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Red Ultra View Post
          Bob, I can't wait for you to move down here so I can come and visit you in your shop.
          I'll never have one where I'm at.
          You're on, Bruce. Anytime. That's why I'm having a difficult time finding the right place to buy. I just can't see me ever living in a HOA subdivision. They probably wouldn't care for the late-night screaming cuss-word sessions of wrench-throwing, the target practice in the backyard, or the burn-out pit in the culdesac. A redneck's gotta have his space.

Deniro, I like many kinds of racks.

But I do almost zero woodworking. Almost all metal fab work. Absolutely love melting, heating, and bending pieces of metal together. Well... not love. Because fab-work in my garage has been the cause of some wrench-throwing sometimes too.
          Last edited by Wanna Ride; 11-01-2015, 10:40 PM.

Comment

My neighbors have finally got used to me and my strange hours and projects.

The two who couldn't adapt moved.

Comment

Nice shop Bob. Very well organized. Hubby's shop isn't always that organized. LOL
              He got a roll around cart from a body shop that the guys use for holding tools when they are doing projects or swapping out handle bars on bikes. We have currently 7 (I think) handle bars from bikes they have put mini apes on. Since his shop is the biggest of all his friends (30 X50) when they need work done, all the guys come over and make a day of it here. Of course his 10X10 paint booth takes up part of the room.
              Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to paramedics.

Comment

Thanks, Bev. In those pics, it's a wreck. I suffer from OCD bigtime, when it comes to the garage or building shit. That comes from being a machinist in another life. And a shop torn apart, is a like a disaster to me.

As far as having a bunch of guys over... I can't handle that. The most I can deal with is one at a time. and when I tear something apart, it usually takes longer than it should because I spend a lot of time inspecting every little detail, and fine-tuning whatever it is I'm working on. But look the fuck out when it's done and I turn it over. Whatever it is usually performs like a raped ape. Best not bring me something to fix or build if you just want it back quickly.

Comment

Just realized we had Main Gate - Shop and Tool talk... can someone move this over there?

Comment

Finally got around to making another wrench-rack and adding it to the bench on the opposite side of the shop. Hard to tell from the picture, but there's two of each wrenches on there, both standard and metrics...

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 11-07-2015, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Looks good Bob. What did you use to hold the wrenches, looks too straight to be nails?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Red Ultra View Post
                        Looks good Bob. What did you use to hold the wrenches, looks too straight to be nails?
                        I used a 1/4" wood dowel rod, that I cut down in 2" sections. Go back to the first post in this thread and you'll see how I cut them in uniform lengths and drilled the holes at a uniform angle. The board that's clamped down on the saw table, was just a stop for the 2" lengths to be cut. The dowel in that board was also just a test to make sure I was using the right size hole to secure the dowel, without it being too loose or too tight. Nothing fancy, or any secret tricks, I just wanted it all consistent. They say a lazy man will find the easiest way to do something. :D

I suppose most of the stuff I build or fix, isn't really about the end result, but more about the hobby of actually creating something. Usually a nice stress relief. I say usually, because today I'm replacing a 4x4 handrail post on the deck, that broke off about 6" below the surface of the ground. This project is mundane and creating more stress than it's relieving, and I'm not enjoying it at all.

In fact... screw it. I'm going for a ride.
                        Last edited by Wanna Ride; 11-08-2015, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Very nice. I have a peg board wall but that would be great if I didn't have the peg board wall. I like how you think outside the box.
                          sigpic
                          Semper Fidelis!!!

Ride Free - Ride Safe!!!

"AKA" - Terry

Comment

Ever wander around the garage looking for the tire chuck, or the pressure gauge? Came up with this awhile back. Simple but effective...

And then was just about done, when I thought it could stand one more feature...

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 11-25-2015, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Okay. That's real handy. Great idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X